1 Thessalonians 5
Jesus intended for us to know the signs of His coming and to be ready. Matthew 24:43 44
2. You already know how the day of the Lord will come -when no one expects it, like a thief who comes in the night.
For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will. Matthew 24:44
3. When men are saying, Now we have peace and security! destruction will come down on them as suddenly as birth pangs come on a pregnant woman.
First there will be a fake crisis followed by rebellion against law. That would be no reason for people to be shouting about peace and security if there was not a crisis.
Instead of being focused on the last days if we are in the Word and working closely with the Lord. We will not be taken by surprised.
5. You are children of the light and sons of the day. None of us belongs to darkness, or night.
Do not allow the darkness in your life of television, movies, games, books are anything that gives the powers of darkness, a chance to show their glory. You will say, "It does not hurt me", but you do not know what you are saying.
But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat and went away. Matthew 13:25
8. But because we are of the day let us be focused, and put on the breastplate of faith and love ,and the helmet of salvation.
It is important that we even sleep with our armor on. See Ephesians 6.
9. Because God did not plan for His anger to be against us, but His plan was that we might be saved through Jesus Christ our Lord.
The wrath of God was put on Jesus on the cross for those who believe. The day of God's wrath is for those who are against Him. Romans 2:5
10. Who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will share our life with Him.
For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. Romans 14:8
11. So keep on encouraging and building each other up -as I have no doubt you are already doing!
Here is how we encourage each other:
When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to build each other up. 1 Corinthians 14:26
Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16
14. We beg you, brothers warn those who are rebellious, encourage those who are fainthearted, and be patient with all men.
Pay close attention, because weak-minded people sometimes have many things to teach us. See also Ezekiel 33:8.
But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. Matthew 5:39
This is talking about an insult.When an angry man slap someone, he opens his right hand and slaps the left cheek of the person who is facing him. This is done to challenge the other person to fight back. But, if he takes his right hand and sweeps it across from his left shoulder to the right cheek of the other person, this is an insult. He is saying you are not even worth fighting with. Ignore him and be happy!
If we do not do turn the other cheek then how are we any different from the world?
17. Never stop praying!
Some teachers say the original words here say to pray like someone who has a constant cough.
18. be thankful no matter what the situation is Because this is God's will for you in Christ.
Notice that Paul says, while we are IN everything. He does not say give thanks FOR everything.
So they went on their way from the presence of the Council, rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer shame for His name. Acts 5:41
19. Do not push away the Holy Spirit.
Do not immediately accept everything you hear.
But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner. 1 Corinthians 14:40
Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment. 1 Corinthians 14:29
The spirits of prophets are subject to the prophets. 1 Corinthians 14:32
Like a city that is broken into and without walls is a man who has no control over his spirit. Proverbs 25:28
Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the Word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. Acts 17:11. See also 1 John 4:1.
22. Stay away from every kind of evil.
Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 1 Corinthians 10:24
Here are some things that look bad to the unbelievers who are watching us:
Celebrating Halloween in America, is like celebrating a devil's day.
Being alone with a member of the opposite sex.
Movies with demons and immorality and cursing.
Although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them. Romans 1:32
23. May the God of peace set you completely apart from the world and may your spirit and soul and body be kept complete and without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus.
It is best when all parts of our body soul and spirit are working together. Your soul can be fractured so that you may be a born again Christian, but your emotions are out of control.
24. The one who calls you is completely faithful and He will finish what He started.
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6
Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
Give attention to the reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching. 1 Timothy 4:13
lessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and listen to the things which are written in it; for the time is near. Revelation 1:3