1. Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, to those who have obeyed the call and are loved by God the father, and kept by Jesus Christ, may you experience more and more of His mercy, peace and love.
Jude is mentioned as one of the half-brothers of Jesus in Matthew 13:55 and Mark 6:3. The word for “brothers” here is not talking about cousins as some say.
Those who twist the Scripture so that they can teach that Mary is an eternal virgin are doing this so that they can build a doctrine which gives Mary some kind of power to answer our prayers.
We are not told in Scripture to pray to Mary. There is much twisting of Scripture when people say that Mary had no other children. See also Galatians 1:19.
Notice that Jude pronounces a blessing on his readers, even though he has some hard things to point out to them.
3. Dear loved ones, I was going to write to you about what we all share by being saved. Instead, I need to write to you and encourage you to defend the faith which was delivered to those of us who have been set apart.
Jude had planned to write about the life of a Christian, but some news came to him about evil men hiding in the church.
See also Hebrews 4:14.
4. Because certain people have been pretending they are believers, but showing by their lives that they can live any way they want to. It was written some time ago that these people would be judged as guilty. They deny our only Lord and Master, Jesus Christ.
Compare Peter's letters to Jude and you will see that Jude used many of the same words:
"They will come secretly"
5. I want to remind you of some things that you know already. That even though the Lord rescued all the people from the land of Egypt, he later destroyed those who did not believe.
See also Exodus 14:30, Numbers 16:30-35, 2 Peter 1:1
Peter has a list of three judgments: fallen angels, the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah. (2 Peter 2:4-8)
See also 2 Peter 2:4-9
The angels who rebelled against God (Revelation 12:4) are kept under control and will be judged.
There are some confused Bible teachers who say that Jude was talking about Genesis 6 and that angels married human beings and had children who were half-man and half-angel. If this were true, Jesus would have to die again for these half-men because the Bible only speaks of Jesus dying for mankind.
Genesis 6 says that when men began to multiply on the earth, godly men were married to ungodly women, their children became evil rulers over the people.
The word for evil rulers is “nephilim.”
Those who teach this lie about angels being married say the reason for the flood was to destroy the Nephilim.
If God destroyed the Nephilim, then why does Numbers 13:33 speak of them still living?
The idea that angels married women is an old Jewish story that came from the book of Enoch and has been used to add men's ideas to the Bible. Jesus said that angels cannot marry (Matthew 22:30) and we base what we believe on what Jesus said. We are not to add or take away from the Bible's words.
The Bible says all men are of one blood (Acts 17:26) so there are no half-men. The Bible says that a spirit does not have flesh (Luke 24:39). So there is no way for angels and humans to have children. That which is spirit is spirit. John 3:6
It is a very serious thing to teach Bible truth based on a fairy tale book such as the book of Enoch. The book of Enoch was a series of stories made up from the imaginations of several men who added to it over the years. This book cannot be considered an authority which we can use to interpret the Bible.
When we read books in which Bible experts teach us that these stories are true, it makes us question their authority about the other things they teach.
These so-called experts also teach us that Jephthah “sacrificed” his daughter, even though the Bible specifically says that you are not to sacrifice your sons and daughters (Deuteronomy 18:10).
The Dead Sea Scrolls showed us that the Scripture said, “ "Then it shall be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, it shall be the Lord's, OR I will offer it up as a burnt offering.” Judges 11:31
This brings us to the idea that we need to hold ourselves back from following every teaching of so-called experts in the original languages. 1 Corinthians 8:1 says that knowledge can make you become very proud. We do not need to throw away everything that the Bible experts teach, but we are not to swallow everything they tell us without question.
We understand the Bible by using our spirit (1 Corinthians 2:14). There are many things which our minds cannot understand, but there is something called the mind of the spirit (Romans 8:27).
We are also guided by the Holy Spirit to know what is true and what is false (1 John 2:27). If a dog can tell the difference between a good person and a bad person, then our spirit should be able to tell us the difference between a fairy tale and the truth.
Teaching people that angels can make women become pregnant only leads to confusion and fear. May God help you if you teach something from your imagination to God's little ones (Mark 9:42).
7. Just like Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them, these cities gave themselves to immorality and perversion. Their lives can be seen as an example of the punishment of eternal fire.
See also Genesis 18:20-21, Ezekiel 16:49-50, 2 Peter 2:6
Those who believe that angels married woman now have to explain how these angels went after flesh of the “same kind” (original language). Remember that angels do not have flesh.
We need to keep in mind that Jude is talking about the evil men who have invaded the church and how they will be judged.
8. In the same way as the men of Sodom, these dreamers who have been hiding in the church are filthy in the flesh. They rebel against authority and make a joke of heavenly glory.
Peter said (2 Peter 2:10,12) that they would talk about things that they do not understand. This is standard procedure for people who try to control churches.
9. But the Archangel Michael disputed with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to judge the devil, but he said, "The Lord rebuke you!"
See also Deuteronomy 34:6, Zechariah 3:2, 2 Peter 2:11
There is an old Hebrew story which says that the devil took the body of Moses from the place where God buried it and that God sent Michael to get it back.
Jude is quoting this story in the same way that Paul referred to another Hebrew story in 1 Corinthians 10:4.
Jude is saying, “according to your fables, this event shows the principle of respecting authority.” The men described in verse four think that they don't have to respect authority when even mighty angels know better than that. Even angels know to cry out to God (Psalm 56:9).
10. These men are ready to mock things that they do not understand (they are like animals) and this is what destroys them.
Jude repeats 2 Peter 2:12.
Proverbs 9:7 warns us to be very careful when responding to a scorner.
11. Woe to them for they have taken the way of Cain, and they have run into the way of Balaam, and have destroyed themselves in rebellion as Korah did.
See also Genesis 4:8, Numbers 16:1-32, 22:17 , 2 Peter 2:15, 1 John 3:12, Revelation 2:14
The way of Cain reminds us that Cain did not listen to God's warnings. He had no faith in trusting God or love for his brother. 1 John 3:12
The way of Balaam reminds us of someone who uses the ministry to make money. 2 Peter 2:15.
12. These men are like hidden rocks when they come to your love feast. They take the love feast without the fear of God. Caring about nobody but themselves. They are like clouds without rain. They are like trees without fruit, twice dead, for they have been pulled up by the roots.
See also Proverbs 25:14, Hebrews 6:6-8, 2 Peter 2:13
The “agape” love feast was a supper combined with communion. Paul warned about people who were destroying the spirit of these meetings ( 1 Corinthians 11:20-22). Later, the early church stopped combining the meal and had communion separately.
13. Their shame is like foaming waves on the beach, they are like planets wandering out of their orbit. In their place is eternal darkness.
The original word here is “planets.” Planets roam across the sky and do not stay in one place as stars do. Nowadays we call these kind of people “church-hoppers.” They are like waves that wash up all kinds of junk and leave it on the beach for somebody else to clean up. They do not like to stay in one place. So after they cause trouble, they move on to another church.
14. Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these kind of men, said, "Look, the Lord is coming with His set-apart ones, who cannot be numbered. He will bring judgment on all their anti-God workings and the things they have said against Him!”
Since the book of Enoch is not the word of God, then where did Jude get these words? Whoever wrote the book of Enoch got these words from someplace. Jude must have also found these words from another source, because of the book of Enoch was written after the lifetime of Jude.
This reminds us of 2 Timothy 3:8 where Paul mentions the names of the two sorcerers, Jannes and Jambres. Paul must have found these names in some other source besides the Bible.
This means that just because Jude quoted some words that are also found in the book of Enoch. It does not mean that Jude approves of the book of Enoch or that it has any authority.
See also Matthew 12:31-32, 2 Peter 2:3
The important point here is that these men will be judged for the things they have done and said. We also need to be careful about what we do and say.
16. These men are always complaining and cursing their situation, running after their own lusts. They will tell you what you want to hear as long as everything works out for their own plans.
These men plan to split the church into small groups and then turn them against each other. See also 2 Peter 2:18, 3:3
17. But you, loved ones, should remember the personal words, that were spoken to you in advance, by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ.
See also 2 Peter 3:2
In other words, Peter and the other apostles told you that things like this would happen.
18. When they said that in the last days there would be mockers who live by their own lust.
See also 2 Peter 3:3 which is almost an exact quote.
Blessing is the best answer for mocking. Proverbs 9:7, 1 Peter 3:9
19. These are men who start little groups in the church and stir up people's emotions and there is no witness of the Holy Spirit.
See also James 3:15.
20. But you, dear ones, build yourselves up in your most holy faith, praying through the Holy Spirit.
See also Romans 8:26-27, 1 Corinthians 14:26, Ephesians 6:18
Feeding yourself from the Bible, and speaking with the Lord every day, is how you build yourself up!
21. Guard yourselves with the love of God. Wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ in eternal life.
Reminding yourself of God's love will keep you safe from attacks on your mind.
Guard yourselves by staying protected inside the Love of God.
22. Have mercy on some of them, convince the ones that are doubting.
Lord, I see that the only way that I can convince them is by overlooking their foolishness and being an example of the way God loves them.
I give You permission to send some hurting person across my path today. Let me see what You see going on in people's lives.
23. Save others by pulling them out of the fire. There will be others that you will need to be careful of, to make sure you balance mercy with caution, hating even the clothes that have been stained by the flesh.
The devil accused Zechariah of not being worthy to serve in God's ministry. He was rebuked.
We reject the accusations of Satan. This man is like a burning stick that has been snatched from the fire!” Zechariah 3:2
See also Amos 4:11
24. Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to make you stand before the presence of His glory without accusations and with His great joy!
See also Psalm 91:11, 1 Peter 4:13
Here is Jude's list:
You will be protected from stumbling.
You will live on unaccused in the presence of His glory, which gives God great joy!
25. To the only God, our Savior, be glory and majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, who before time, was, is now, and forever. Amen!
We give to God: glory, majesty, power, and authority, for all the ages, and even now. Amen!